Conditions of Membership
Membership is offered under the following categories:
These are qualified individual Clinicians and Practitioners holding a Bachelor of Ayurvedic Medicine & Surgery (BAMS) degree from a recognised Indian or Sri Lankan University, or a University outside India which has been professionally accredited. This category also includes Practitioners holding a BA (Hons) degree in Ayurvedic Studies or a BSc (Hons) degree in Ayurvedic Medicine and who have completed their clinical Internship requiring a minimum of 1000 hours of clinical training at a recognised Ayurvedic teaching hospital or training institute in India or in UK/Europe.
This category includes Medical doctors who have special interest in Ayurveda as well as fully qualified Ayurvedic doctors based outside UK; these include healthcare providers such as a GP, Clinician or Clinician Assistant, Naturopaths, Overseas Ayurvedic Doctors, Complimentary Therapists, Herbalists, Integrated Healthcare Practitioners or Providers, including Physicians in special interest areas related to Ayurvedic / Complimentary Medicine Practice or working in collaborative partnership within the healthcare sector.
Therapists working independently or in the capacity of physician assistants alongside / under the guidance of Ayurvedic Doctors and Practitioners such as qualified Panchakarma Therapist, Ayurvedic Massage Therapist, Dietician and Wellness Counsellor. Therapist membership may also be granted to qualified Complementary Therapists with special interest in providing Ayurvedic Therapies as part of their holistic practice providing they have been granted accreditation for such practices by the awarding body or recognised Ayurvedic Institution.
Students on an undergraduate degree programme in Ayurveda at an approved university in the UK/Europe as well as Internees (as stipulated above in the category of Full members).
Friends of BAAAP
Any person interested in Ayurveda and supportive of BAAAP; these are affiliate and supporting members of the general public having special interest in Ayurvedic Healthcare including those who have attended seminars and workshops organised by BAAAP.
Recognising individuals on the basis of their career achievement in Health and Wellbeing.
Life membership is granted to Corporate Friends, Charities, Philanthropists and Sponsors with special philanthropical interest for social welfare who support the mission or cause of BAAAP in an ongoing annual commitment whether financial or otherwise.
Prerequisites for issuance of BAAAP Membership Certificates:
(applicable to the following members: Full, Associate, Therapist, Student and Friends of BAAAP)
- Payment in full of the membership fee (see below for fees); membership certificate is to be valid for one year from the date of issue (usually 1st April to 31st March)
- Proof of ID (valid Passport or Driving Licence)
- Proof of Residency (e.g utility bill)
- National Insurance number (for British citizens)
In addition, Full, Associate and Therapist membership of BAAAP is conditional upon producing the following evidence:
- A valid Qualification (in the case of Full membership, a BA (Hons) in Ayurvedic Studies or a BSc (Hons) in Ayurveda from a University outside India which has been professionally accredited and in the case of Overseas Ayurvedic Doctors (Associate membership), a Bachelor of Ayurvedic Medicine & Surgery (BAMS) from a recognised Indian or Sri Lankan University)
- Professional Registration Certificate
- Clinical Internship at a recognised Ayurvedic teaching hospital or training clinic in India/UK/Europe (min 1000 hours for Full or Associate membership) e.g. Internship Certificate
- Evidence of ongoing CPD (Continuing Professional Development) training (maintenance of CPD log) which can include the following (related/relevant to Ayurveda): documents or training certificates from workshops attended, research, publications, involvement in teaching, attendance of lectures / conferences and similar
- Evidence of fluency in English language
- Certificate of Physical Fitness (self-declaration)
- Full Clinical Practice and contact details (if applicable)
- Current Professional Indemnity Insurance (if applicable)
- For overseas Doctors or practitioners (non-British citizens) intending to work in the UK, overseas Passport details, a valid UK work permit and proof of residency will also be required
Please note : Full, Associate and Therapist Membership can only be granted once all the applicant’s details have been checked & verified and all the supplied documents are in order for clearance. Upon which it may take up to 10 days to generate a valid membership certificate which will be sent electronically as a pdf file to the applicant’s email address.
All relevant documentation as above should be included with your Application form – which can be downloaded from the link provided below – and sent to the General Secretary via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that all documentation should be clearly named and any images should be oriented correctly.
It is a mandatory requirement for all members to have read and familiarised themselves with the BAAAP Code of Ethics (which can be found at the bottom of this page).
Membership Fees and Payment
Full member – £85
Associate member – £85
(Concessionary rate of £45.00 available to applicants who work outside Europe/USA)
Therapist – £65
Student member – £30
Friends of BAAAP – £35
There is an additional administration charge of £3.00 for those wishing to receive their membership certificate by post. You can pay your membership fee via bank electronic transfer as provided below.
Other fees: For additional promotional material, advertising and specialised links to practitioner and supplier websites, enquire within.
Bank details for direct and electronic payment transfer is as follows :
Account Name: BAAAP
Address: 2 Love Lane, Pinner, Middx HA5 3EG
Account number: 71474626
Sort Code: 40-36-21
Reference: MEM-<first 2 letters of your first name followed by the first 2 letters of your surname>
Benefits of BAAAP Membership
Since 1997, BAAAP has been lobbying the British and other European governments for the recognition of Ayurveda as a distinct and independent system of healthcare with full statutory recognition of Ayurvedic practitioners. BAAAP will continue to further secure the future of Ayurveda in this country and to protect your interests as an Ayurvedic practitioner.
Receive up to date information about current legislation applicable to Ayurveda in the UK.
Discounts from suppliers of various products
BAAAP has negotiated a very reasonable annual Professional Liability Insurance fee of £51 pa for its members (£74 if Basti is also included as a therapy and another £15 for legal expenses which is optional). This is with Holistic Insurance Services
183 Watling Street West
Tel: 01327 354 249